On Sunday I did our weekly check of the bees. They have finished their fondant. I read in a bee book that June can be a problematic month in terms of bee foraging so I thought that I would err on the side of caution and feed them for a little longer. I made up a dilute syrup for them and tried out our contact feeder. When I first upturned it syrup kept running out. It slowed down, and I think when the vacuum gets formed it shouldn’t pour out, but I am a little apprehensive about this. I fear that next Sunday I will go and check the bees and the frames will be covered with a sticky mess of gooey syrup.
Bee Update: the main thing to note is we now have a lot more bees. It looks as if quite a bit of the capped brood has hatched, leaving empty cells. There are also fewer larvae and uncapped brood.
Starting from the right the first new frame is still untouched. The second frame is drawn out and has pollen in it. The third frame has capped brood, capped honey, and lots of bees. All the old frames have lots of bees, capped brood, capped drone cells, and some queen cells with no sign of larvae present. I also found the Queen.
You may remember that I saw two bees with blue dots before. I am pretty sure that I misidentified the queen before. We only saw one bee with a blue dot on Sunday and I think that is the Queen (I am hoping that it is the Queen) – as you can see I have a lot to learn about beekeeping! The next two new frames were both built out.
Next Saturday I am going to the bee club where hopefully I will learn whether I need to take swarm prevention measures given I started with a nucleus this year. I think I may also have to put a super on this week so will find out how to put foundation on the frames.