Anyway here is an update on the sorry tale that is my adventure into the world of apiculture. The Queen from hive one died (see here for tales of regicide). I had hoped that they would make a new Queen – they didn’t. So, having taken advice from the wonderful people at bee-club, just over a week ago I united hive 1 with the newly formed hive 3 – formed as a result of undertaking an artificial swarm 3 weeks ago – see here.
I checked on the hives at the weekend. Hive 1 and 3 had united fine. The Queen was still there, I saw eggs and larvae – hurray. Then I looked at hive 2 – I had left them with frames of brood and a Queen cell. I had hoped the Queen would emerge, mate and start laying, but there was no sign of a Queen. Another Queenless hive. I am developing a bit of a reputation with regard to losing Queens – must be my republican tendencies.
I am not sure what to do. I will wait another week – and then maybe unite it with hive 3?
Also at the weekend I tidied up my apiary, strimmed all around and cleared away empty brood boxes etc leftover from the uniting. All this went well – and I felt like a good beekeeper for about 2 minutes.
However, having moved everything out of the apiary, I was carrying it slowly across the field to the shed – it was hot – I took off the top of my bee suit as I wasn’t in the apiary, and then one rogue, mean bee came out of nowhere and stung me on my chin. Normally, even when going through the hives they don’t attack – this bee attacked me.
And then, because I am a little bit allergic to bee stings my face swelled up and I felt awful. I took Piriton and this made me hugely sleepy. It is still swollen – I don’t like that bee.
N.B. It is all I can do to actually go through my hives, so no lovely photos of bees at the moment – instead there are photos of the flowers the bees visit!