This year I decided not to apply apiguard (varroa treatment) to my hives. I may live to regret this rather rash decision but so be it. I put in plastic floors for two weeks and counted the varroa mite drop – there was less than 5 per floor. So instead of treating them I have decided to simply drizzle Hive Clean between the frames every week for four weeks.
I have also been feeding them – although there is, or soon will be ivy pollen/nectar around, after their close brush with starvation I have decided they need feeding up. They have been getting lots of ambrosia over the past few weeks.
The bees seem happy-ish. Three of the hives seem quite strong, the one with the swarm is still quite small – just 5 or 6 frames. I just hope my four hives make it through the winter ready to make lots of honey next year …. please bees.