Yesterday I took a look at the bees. Well I took a look at three of the hives – I couldn’t face checking out the slightly angry swarm bees so left them for next week.
There are no bee photos as I was working alone and it was stressful enough without trying to take photos too.
So three hives (nos 2,3 and 4) were full of honey – probably ivy honey from the late autumn. Hives 3 and 4 had three frames of brood and I saw eggs, brood and sealed brood. Hive 2 had two frames. I also hefted up the very heavy brood boxes to get at the supers underneath (I had put them there for insulation over the winter). I moved them on top of the brood boxes so the bees have room to expand. I may have dropped one of the brood boxes as it was so very very heavy – this didn’t help the attitude of the bees – sorry bees. All the frames were very sticky – I might have broken some of them with my inept hive tool handling, but again let’s not mention this. I also removed the woodpecker protection and checked they still had some fondant. And I told them about the death of our lovely friend and neighbour – Ted was a good friend of the bees and had also kept them some years ago.
I got stung once – only through my gauntlet so not much poison got in, but it has still swollen up. I am slightly worried by my reaction to bee stings, but let’s not dwell on that now.
I stopped turning the incubating duck eggs yesterday and upped the humidity to 75% and this morning we had pipped eggs – look out for super cute ducklings in the next couple of days. Good job I am in London for the day job today as otherwise I would be so distracted by the hatching.
Last but not least – here are the daffodils planted by the children last autumn on my beloved Daisy Dog’s grave.