I have a bee shed – James and Jim built it for me – it is wonderful. And look a bumblebee has already come to visit.
It has plenty of space for storage of equipment and a work bench for me to build hives and frames.
This weekend, on Saturday, I checked my hives and in one they had built and sealed about 10 queen cells. There were a lot of bees so it didn’t look as if they had swarmed, but they had their bags packed and were ready to go. I don’t know why they wanted to swarm, there was space in the brood box. I am wondering if it was related to their stores getting rather depleted – any ideas?
Of course I couldn’t find the queen so I couldn’t do a regular artificial swarm. I did a bit of research on the interest and found a new way of doing an artificial swarm – new to me.
I took the original brood box and placed it a metre away with the entrance facing a different direction. I placed a new box with foundation in on the old site. I took one frame of brood and eggs (but no sealed queen cells) from the old hive and placed it in the new one (on the original site). The idea is that the flying bees will go back to original site and the new box which will leave the original box on its new site a lot more empty and might stop the bees swarming. I am meant to check in a week.
Of course I didn’t have enough made-up frames so I had to try putting foundation in some already-made frames for the first time – I am sure I will get better at it …..
Then on Tuesday, while down at the alpaca disco I saw a swarm of bees off looking for a new home. Sure, it could be a swarm from elsewhere, but realistically it is probably my bees heading off on new adventures.
The bad beekeeping continues, I can only hope that the new shed improves matters.
N.B. I am thinking about putting a chair in here and a kettle and just escaping – I love the shed 🙂