So last Wednesday at 7pm I found myself rocking up at a house in a nearby village to collect a swarm living in two old supers.
Obviously as I am a professional beekeeper and not a rubbish one I turned up with three things: a cardboard box, gaffer tape and my beesuit!
Well, in my defence at least I remembered my beesuit – no hive tool, no smoker and no nuc.
Luckily I was collecting the swarm from another beekeeper who just didn’t want these ones. She had a smoker and a hive tool and together we taped up the two supers and wrapped them in a sheet. We carefully put them in my car and I drove home – with the beesuit on.
At about 8pm I unloaded my precious cargo onto a stand and brood box I had prepared earlier and scarpered – after all I still had halloumi to make.
The next day I added another super as an eke and fed the bees. The were coming and going from a little hole in one of the supers, but also using the main entrance of the brood box.
I left them to it but I will go and have a check on them tomorrow and assess the situation.
N.B. The bees are only in the two plain wooden supers boxes here, but I am hoping that they may move down into the white brood box. The top yellow super is the eke where I have put some fondant for them.
N.B. Thank you for the bees Amanda and especially thank you for teaching me how to move them 🙂